Evidence for God’s Existence
Evidence for God's Existence
Evidence for God's Existence
The belief in God has defined the Jewish people for centuries. We know deep down He exists. It’s part of our ancestry. From childhood on, the Shema—“Hear O Israel, The LORD our God, the LORD is One”—rings in our ears. (Deuteronomy 6:4–9)
That’s all well and good, but how do we know for certain that God exists when we’re so removed from the spectacular events of the Flood, the Red Sea crossing, and the booming thunder and terrible lightning at Mount Sinai?
Truth is, we don’t have to wonder.
Evidence all around us
The existence for God is based on evidence found in nature (Romans 1:19–20) and in the Scriptures.
God leaves his fingerprints all over His creation for every generation to encounter. From the starry night sky to the opening of a flower, He leaves His clues everywhere. Nature attests to the precision and creative hand of a Creator. Thoughtful intent and design can be found in the anatomy of an ant, the power of a storm, the perfection of the human eye and everything in between.
Scripture does not prove the existence of God so much as it points to the fact that God is. The God of the Scriptures is not an idea or a powerful force in the universe or a spiritual feeling. Neither is He the god of our artistic imaginations—something we control and curate for ourselves.
In search of the one true God
So, who is the God we meet in the Bible?
- He is outside of us, and yet He is not far from each one of us. For in Him we live and move and exist (Acts 17:27-28).
- He is a self-existent, self-conscious, personal being.
- He is the origin of all things. (Genesis 1–2).
- He transcends all creation while being involved in every part of it.
- God possesses all life, glory, goodness and blessedness, in and of Himself.
- He alone is self-sufficient. In fact, it is we who need everything from Him.
- His knowledge is infinite, incapable of flaws and independent of any creature.
- Nothing is uncertain with Him.
- He is present everywhere at the same time, here in this world and with His creatures.
- He is holy and all His works and commands in Scripture declare His glory.
- Since He made us, angels and men and every other creature owe Him worship, service and obedience.
- He is the creator and upholder of all His creatures. He is the ruler of all peoples and nations (Psalm 2).
- His grand scheme is to reveal His great purpose of redemption.
- He is seen in action in every part of Scripture, both in the Old and New Testaments, culminating in the person and work of Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah.
God’s existence cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. But, while the existence of God is accepted by faith, this faith is based on dependable information. It’s not a leap in the dark.
In Hebrews 11:6, the author states, “He who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently see Him.” In other words, clear declarations or logical arguments do not bring a person to a knowledge of God, but a willingness to believe He exists and seek Him above all else does.
Are you willing to take that step?
Find out more about God. Chat with us today.
This content has been adapted from an earlier Jews for Jesus article.